Handmade Briar Pipes

August 2008

This is a straight bulldog I’m working on as a commission. It’s in pretty rough form now but is going pretty well. The drilling couldn’t have gone better.

Here’s the airway hole dead center in the bottom of the chamber:

This Dublin is either going to be a straight Dublin or a Zulu. I haven’t decided yet. The stem is Cumberland rod stock:

This one is giving me fits. It has gone from having a Bocote stem extension to this bamboo. I keep putting it aside mostly due to commissioned work but also because it can’t decide what direction it wants to go. It’ll let me know soon enough I’m sure.

Here’s a blowfish I started a long time ago. As you can see the shank/stem transition is quite ambitious. I’ve set it aside until I get up the nerve to give it a go.

This is one of three blocks that I plan on making either straight bulldogs or Rhodesians out of. They are all based on the design of the commissioned straight bulldog pictured earlier. This one of the three has very promising grain. The other two will likely be rusticated. We’ll see.

Leave a Reply